Saturday, June 15, 2013

If you Love me…


We take the concept of love in today’s Gospel not in the realms of conditions but rather as coming from the domain of intentions. To explain this, let me put the words of Jesus through the lips of a young man who is courting a woman. Jesus’ challenge of love, “if you truly love me, you will keep my word and follow me” is different from a boyfriend’s craving to own his woman: “if you love me, then follow me and leave your family.” Both may seem to suggest laying conditions to the part of the lover but the difference spells out when we see the intentions of the person who really loves. And if it is really genuine, then it should follow other descriptions of love such as freeing, selfless and responsible. 



In order to move closer to the idea of Jesus’ intentional love, we can use the conditions of parents who care for their children. “If you love me my son, you should study hard for your own sake…” Parents believe that if they are not going to challenge their children to work hard for their success they will definitely repeat the mistakes of others in the past. They insist on their loving conditions even if difficulties and rejections arise, just to let their children realize what is best in life. Jesus’ love is the same. He must insist on his Word, to the extent that it must be a commandment to be followed by everyone, in order to let his children be with Him with His Father in heaven.
Conditions are indeed violations to the rule of love because love must be something that you give without expecting for return. But these conditions are justified when we see the intentions of the person who really love us unconditionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment